Thursday, February 25, 2010

Russia, Part 2: Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Bought My Ticket

Shots. Five of them. In the arm.

I wasn't prepared for that.

It's not that I'm squeamish, or that I have a low pain threshold. It's just that that's a lot of shots, man. I suggest that maybe I could get some of them later; check myself into a little Russian clinic, disinfect the injection site with some Stolichnaya, and submit myself to the large but capable hands of Olga, the rather mannish Siberian nurse.

My doctor gives me a sidelong glance as he lays out the syringes.

"The Russian medical system oscillates between modern and medieval," he says. He chooses a syringe and frowns at it. "You never know what you're going to get. Now take off your shirt."

"But don't you think," I say as I disrobe,"that it's worth giving it a try? I mean, peristroika, glastnost, all that?"

He thwacks the syringe with his finger. "That was twenty years ago. Hold still."

So still I hold, betrayed by a country that can export cultural gold like Dostoyevsky and Yakov Smirnov and yet apparently not provide a tetnus booster. I am about to wax rhapsodic on the technological innovation of Sputnik when Dr. Cahn launches the first of five rockets into my arm.
I mutter and curse. I smite him with my eyes. I harbor evil feelings towards him. All the while, little Chernobyls are melting down in my tricep.

"Isn't there a pill for this?" I hiss, sending him as much bad mojo as I can muster.

He drops the empty syringe with a satisfied sigh and reaches for another. "Consider it pure joy, my brother. Now, for the love of God, stop squirming and hold still."

Yeah, right. Pure joy my приклад.

No comments:

Post a Comment